Monday, November 15, 2010

The Hyde's Camp!

Nonie, Opie, Rob, Wyatt and I went camping recently and I'm just getting around to blogging it. We had so. much. fun. Our destination was Krause (pronounced kr-ow-see) Springs, a privately owned RV and tent campground with an incredible natural spring-fed waterfall covered in ferns. You'll see that in a minute... This is a mostly picture post so here goes:

On our way to meet the grandparents in Spicewood, TX!


After a bit of trouble leveling the trailer out, we set up camp and concentrated on relaxing.




I was very excited about cooking in a real cast iron dutch oven with coals! We made 'Fancy Chicken' which turned out ok, eggs, biscuits (on an inverted pie plate inside the oven), fajitas and more.


Dad and Rob hardly ever see each other without playing a good game of Scrabble. It is hilarious to sit next to them while they play. They're always 'debating' whether a word is legitimate. Rob tends to try Dutch words out and Dad tries to pass off words as Spanish.


Krause Springs was indeed gorgeous with giant mesquite (?) trees and lush vegetation.



Their famous waterfall! Actually more beautiful in person. There is a grotto underneath that Rob (very quickly) swam into. It was chilly people!




The property sits on this beautiful river and we hiked down for a swim. Wyatt is sitting in his fabulous new hiking backpack that I found on Craigslist. It's a Kelty K.I.D.S. convertible backpack that goes from backpack to stroller. I know it sounds cheesy and flimsy but all the reviews I read were 5 stars and I agree! It has lots of support straps (Wyatt weighed 20 lbs at 7 months...) and sits upright on the ground making a perfect height highchair! The stroller function is great for malls, museums, etc. but I wouldn't recommend it for hiking trails. You'd use it as a backpack anyway in that case.




I love how you can see where floods have forced the trees to bend downstream. It's so dramatic.




We moved campsites from Krause Springs to the Pedernales State Park after some of the state-run campsites cleared out. We picked a weekend that was a school holiday and so the parks were packed! Here's Rob and Mom by the gorgeous falls.


He loves his Opie Greg!





1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! I love your blogs! And I'm so glad I get to see you and my little {big} Wyatt-Bear TODAY!!

    ReplyDelete