Thursday, November 4, 2010

Refinished Dining Table


I've wanted to paint our wood stained dining room table black since the second we bought it. Finally, six months later, the transformation is complete! I would like to add that in my pre-baby furniture refinishing days I could knock out a project in a few days. Ah well. I love my little helper and wouldn't trade him for anything.


BEFORE
Fun pub-height, not terrible but kinda blah.


DURING
- don't ya love our painting bay? I thought it was brilliant-




AFTER (TA DA!)


Here's how I did it. When I was planning the process, I was wishing for a paint sprayer and compressor. Those sprayers give you a finished, professional look that I dearly desired as opposed to the brush stroke look. I figured they were pretty expensive (over $50) so I went about planning with brushes in mind. Then I went out to the shed for something and lo and behold the angels were singing and a light was shining down upon... a paint sprayer and pancake compressor!! I hadn't realized/blocked from my memory that Rob had borrowed those items from my Dad to paint his pick-up. YIPEE

I used a DeWalt palm sander (my first power tool purchase-I'm in love), black Wal-Mart paint, a semi-gloss polyurethane lacquer and a mother. Mom helped SO much in this project! Thanks Ma! Sanded the gloss of the wood stain, spray painted twice, brushed on polyurethane twice and presto -chango.




Just because it's hard to post anything without a picture of my little butterbean... He got his first owie that needed a band-aid today. :( I didn't realize his toe was bleeding until he'd thwacked it against the carpet about 76 times. Best way to remove (fresh) blood from carpet? Just pour cold water over the stain and soak up with a rag. Really. I didn't believe the Yahoo Answers post either.



See the band-aid? And that sweet little tear?


Youch momma!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. I love you and he is so stinkin' adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little baby! I love the table. You did a great job on it. I have a dresser I've been putting off as well...I too have a little helper that I have to work around; wouldn't want it any other way.

    ReplyDelete