Monday, December 6, 2010

Our House for the Holidays

I really enjoy blog browsing for holiday and regular decorating inspiration.  I don't think our house is quite 'inspirational' yet but we're getting there!  I also enjoy before and afters.  My next post will be completely before and afters of the main rooms in our house.  But for now, here's our Christmas decor.

BEFORE
(Thanksgiving)


Giant glass vases $8/ea at a garage sale
Faux gourds, pears, pumpkins and harvest garland were freebies from my Mom's incredible floral stash. 


AFTER
(Christmas)

 

Lovely tree and cardinal wrapping paper- $8 from The Container Store
Branch from our fresh Christmas tree
Everything else I already had in my Christmas stash.



"Reserved" sign-wedding leftover
Silver hammered platter-wedding gift
Rest was Mom freebies.


Christmas card display- gift
 Mercury glass candle holder-gift
FABULOUS giant mercury glass acorns from Home Goods-$15 each!?!?


Skinny white pillar candles from Wally World in the 'candles used to pray to saints' section-$2/ea
 Saint candles covered in -ironically- book pages from an old Hispanic 
Baptist hymnal wrapped in twine. 
Faux branches I stole from a greenery arrangement in my living room. 



I poured coarse rock salt into the bottom of the platter to look like snow. 





My sweet friend Val saw the acorns at my house and a few days later 
called to tell me my acorns were featured in Pottery Barn's Holiday magazine!  I looked online and saw them hanging like this
 (look at the 'Family Giving' entryway), 
but our entry doesn't have a high enough roof.  So I browsed through the other entryway inspiration photos and saw under the 'Santa' scene a large mass of ornaments hung by ribbon. Again, short roofed entry, so I hung the chandelier of ornaments on an extended hook next to our door.


Two trees $18/pair at Wally World.




Christmas wreath- gift
Antlers woven into wreath- Rob found while hunting




My kitchen island display:
Gold charger- $1 garage sale'd
Candle- $3 Wally World 'Pumpkin Spice'
Mossy pebbles- Mom freebie
Sign holder- wedding leftover
Grinch Hymnal Print- done by yours truly




The other side of the Grinch print:
"Great little One whose all-embracing birth, lifts earth to Heaven, 
stoops Heaven to earth"




On my desk:
The Baptist hymnal itself, displayed on an easel, opened to 
"Despliegue El Cristiano" with a sparkle snowflake marking my spot




Garland over my entry way mirror sprinkled with ornaments, 
crystal droplets, and sparkly snowflakes!



BEFORE


0.2 Seconds AFTER

3 comments:

  1. My favorite before and after is for sure the last one. Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented! I wish you could come help me transform my house, but I might be too embarrassed for you to see the before!

    Wyatt is precious in that hat!

    ReplyDelete