Sunday, January 22, 2012

Entryway *Stripes*

I've been wanting to paint our entryway for quite some time.  While my incredible mother in law is here to wrangle the kiddos, I went for it.  Good heavens I cannot tell you what a difference it makes.  

I used to walk in and think "Gee I desperately need to paint these sterile hospital walls. Like, yesterday."  Now I just smile when I walk in the door.


A part of the monumental difference is that the previous owners bought a truckload of high gloss white paint and schlapped it on every surface in the house.  Trim, walls, cabinets, bathrooms, hallways, it didn't matter.  High gloss for all.  It felt like a cheap apartment.  

Now there is personality, if I do say so.  Look, you can even see the crown molding.


Part of me wanted to wait and show complete B/A pics.  Like with my new chandelier and freshly painted mirror and wire baskets in place etc.  But the who-knows-when-I'll-get-to-it-I-have-a-baby-to-nurse-every-three-hours-and-a-two-year-old-to-keep-from-tearing-the-very-doors-from-their-hinges part of me said 'I'd post pics now if I were you'.  And I am me, so I did.


The base coat is Martha Stewart's Heavy Cream and the stripes are Sherwin Williams Rice Grain.  Both in eggshell.  Experiencing what a completely different feeling it gives the house motivated me to paint the entire living room Glidden's Olivewood yesterday afternoon.  

I used this tutorial (but used a paint brush instead of a foam brush) to get perfect stripes.  Most satisfying tape removal of all time. 

Here are my original inspiration photos I scouted from Pinterest:







3 comments:

  1. It looks great. Don't you love walking into a newly painted room? And I totally agree with you on the tape removal. Although I gasped and said a prayer before because who the heck knows what I would have done once the tape was removed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing!! I love it so much! I can't wait to see the living room, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know where you found the time, but it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete