Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Rich Man

When Rob shut his car door this evening and Wyatt and I realized he was home, the first words out of my mouth were, 'Thank God!'.  And I never say that.  

Usually the speaker does not actually mean to give thanks to the Creator, Jehovah, God.  Just a phrase to toss around.  And I don't want Wyatt and Ella to mimic my words carelessly without realizing that I  indeed was thanking our Lord for sending Daddy home at the exact moment when my sanity was perched on the edge of a very large precipice about to dive off!

Anyway.  I was tense because my meal plan called for a certain meal that required ground beef.  We used it all up making hamburgers for some friends the other night when we hung out on our cul-de-sac. So I went to the next day.  Chicken and Rice.  Chicken, check.  Rice, check.  Recipe?  Recipe?  Beuller?  

--Half an hour of searching tastykitchen.com, recipe box, written recipes from Rob's mom--
Nothing.  
All while Wyatt has gone with zero nap all. day. long.

WAIT.  I'm stressed because my meal plan is off track?  Because I have so many options for food?  Because we hosted an impromptu get together with friends?  

Reality check Mere.  Most people go to bed hungry.  Most people in the world go to bed hungry.  

I am that rich man in Matthew 19:24.  I have a roof over my head and food on my table.  Choices of food!  


21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
 22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
 23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 
24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”
 25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”

 26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”



Thank you God for your grace.  For your mercy.






P.S. Francis Chan opened my eyes to the fact that I am a 'rich man' in his book Crazy Love.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I just read a post Jen sent me about a {hilarious} mom story but in the end she talks about how only a wealthy woman would get stressed about what she was stressing about. That sometimes it takes those "little things" to point out how rich we are. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely feel like sometimes I focus on "first world" problems. I open my completely full refrigerator and tell my husband that we have nothing to eat. We are indeed rich and we don't even realize it.

    ReplyDelete