Wednesday, September 5, 2012

First Day of Preschool

Wyatt has been going to the same preschool for about a year now.  But this year, he really understands what it means to 'go to school'.  And he got excited!  Partially because Rob and I made it sound like he won the lottery to be able to go to school.  But he's a Cautious Carl about a lot of stuff and we wanted him on board with it all.




He LOVES his backpack and insists on wearing it despite the fact that it almost outweighs him and frequently topples him over.  I've got to get one of those cute but almost useless 'junior' backpacks that everybody else seemed to have with their kid's name monogrammed on it. 
Come to think of it, Wyatt's is monogrammed but it's not very noticeable.  I'm not bashing the practice, I have an unnatural affinity to monograms.







He was excited all the way up until we pull in the long drive on the church property and he starts saying, "No, Mommy! No!".  I knew what was coming.  

I carried him moaning/whining into the building while pushing a mystified Ella in the umbrella stroller.  No small feat, mind you.  Then the teacher peeled him off of me and tried in vain to distract him from the fact that he's in a new room with new teachers and mostly new kids.  

But I didn't stick around or loiter by the door to see what happened.  I knew he'd cool down quickly and me popping in every 30 seconds would only exponentially complicate the situation.  

Small nudge to helicopter moms. 
I used to teach preschool Sunday school in college...

When I went to pick him up, I expected a happy child, if not sleepy from his recent nap.  I was wrong. He was standing up just crying to beat the band saying, "Mommy, mommy, mommy" over and over. 

*remove knife from heart, try to staunch bleeding*

A very nice lady named Stephanie explained that his teacher had put him down for his nap and then she relieved the teacher.  So Wyatt woke up to a stranger.  Hence the melt down.  Stephanie was really nice and said she'd do the same thing if she woke up to a stranger in her room. 

While Wyatt was at school, Ella and I had had a fun girls day with our friends Colleen and baby Autumn at Goodwill and Schlotzky's.  I found a kid's size Cars sleeping bag that rolls up into a Cars backpack for when we go camping.  So when we got home, I showed Wyatt the sleeping bag and he spent the afternoon running and sliding onto the bag on the wood floors.  Dressed like this:





1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud. 'Twas merely a snort through the nose, but I laughed all the same when I saw that last picture.

    ReplyDelete